August 20 - 25, 2018
National Safe at Home Week
National Safe at Home Week is August 20 to 24, 2018. This week is a time to remind caregivers of the risk of falls and other injuries in the home. One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury. Over 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures with more than 95% of hip fractures caused by falling. Falling is also the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries.
When a fall occurs in the home, your loved one can become afraid to be alone even if they were not injured in the fall. This fear might cause them to slow down daily activities, thus making them weaker. This could lead to being even more unstable and likely to fall.
Caregivers from Health Force of Georgia
Health Force of Georgia can help by providing caregivers to check in on your family member and get them up and moving. A home health care worker can help if there is an injury or just be there to check in and help out with day-to-day activities.
Here are a few tips to help keep you or your loved ones safe at home:
- Keep nightlights in bathrooms, bedrooms, and any other dark areas.
- Make sure your home has lots of light by adding more or brighter light bulbs.
- Get rid of things you could trip over.
- Put railings on both sides of stairs.
- Add grab bars inside and outside your tub or shower and next to the toilet.
- Ensure that electrical cords are not exposed where they could be tripped over.
- Eliminate small area rugs that could slip on a floor or use non-slip strips or floor mats.
- Bring in the services of a physical or occupational therapist to gain strength and balance.
- Secure loose towel racks, sink tops, and toilet seats.
- Encourage the use of walkers or canes.
- Improve balance and strength with regular exercises.
- Clearly mark your street number on the mailbox, fence, gate, or wall so emergency personnel can find your home.
Health Force of Georgia Offers Many Types of Assistance
Call (770) 458-8500
to schedule help with:
- Companion Care
- Meal Preparation
- Taking to Medical Appointments
- Grocery Shopping
- Housekeeping Assistance
- Running Errands
- Respite Care
- Personal Appointments
- Skilled Nursing Care
- Personal Care Assistance
- Arranging for Uber transportation
Health Force of Georgia Service Area
Transportation services are available for Health Force of Georgia client in the Metro Atlanta area. Never worry about how to get to a doctor's appointment or the grocery store. Health Force of Georga and Uber Health will get you there and take care of the costs.
Our service area includes metro Atlanta, GA and 18 surrounding counties.